Thursday, February 4, 2010

When I'm 64

My friend, Wally, and I have always joked that aging is not for sissies. Today I came face to face with that reality.

I called the bone marrow registry to update my information and was told that I'm now too old to donate. As far as I can recall, it's the first time I've been told I'm too old to do something - well, except for riding the kiddie rides at 6 Flags.

It's a cold dose of reality for someone who still thinks he can run up and down a basketball court or throw a football like he once did.

On the other hand, along with the struggles of aging come blessings. For instance, just a couple of days ago I came home to find 5 of my 7 grandchildren at my house. Of course I got kisses and hugs from all of them, from Kat, the eldest, to Gabe, the youngest.

And now, instead of playing basketball, I get the joy of sitting behind the bench of the high school jayvee team that my son helps coach. Fortunately, I can still yell as loudly as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment