Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chosen and commissioned

I had the delight of speaking to the Sunday School leaders of the North Point Baptist Church in Weaverville last night. This young church is excited about its fellowship Bible study ministry. Of the fifty or so individuals in attendance, there were leaders from every age group, preschool through adult.

Gray Little, the pastor, and I have been friends for a number of years, dating back to when he served the West Asheville Baptist Church as minister of education and I was associate pastor at First Baptist of Hendersonville. This is also the church where my friend Bryan Smith served as an associate before moving to east Tennessee. His successor, Brian Proctor, I have known for 15 years. He and his wife, Kathy, formerly served as IMB missionaries in Asia, and FBC of Hendersonville was their home church.

Gray had asked me to share an encouraging word for his leaders, which is not a difficult task. I love those who give of their time and effort every week to lead Bible study. Most are volunteers, so theirs is a labor of love.

I used John 15:6 as my text. In this passage Jesus tells his followers, "You did not choose me, but I chose you and commissioned you to bear fruit that will last." (slightly paraphrased) Here are the highlights.

1. You have been chosen: before the foundation of the world, by grace, and for all eternity.
2. You have been commissioned by Christ to bear fruit: the fruit of your lips, the fruit of your lives, and the fruit of your legacy.

I also shared this truth: When you teach God's Word, you make an eternal difference in the lives of your learners.

1 comment:

  1. I have already seen your many blogs. Your sharing always new information's. And it is interesting.
    Domain registration India

    ReplyDelete