Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A letter from Kenya

With today’s mail came a letter from Kenya, hand-written by a young 5th grader named Reul Kalo. My wife and I sponsor Reul through Compassion International. Here’s some of what he wrote:

“I take this time to write to you again. Here at home we are very fine. How are you? I’m happy because I was promoted to standard (grade) five in primary school. Please pray for me because I’m not doing very well. My new teacher is teaching us very well.

I’m trying to read very hard so as to improve in science. Kiswahili (the local language) is my favorite subject. Do you know kiswashili?

When I’m free I play football (soccer) with my friends, who wish to become great footballers when they grow up.

I would like to sincerely thank you for the support you send. I’m very happy. Thank you for the blanket I received. The gift I got made me recall the story our Christian education teacher taught us about the miracles of Jesus.

Please pray for me so that I can pass my exams.

From your child, Reul.”

Mary Beth and I got teary-eyed as we read the letter. We can’t wait to write back and send pictures and a little extra gift. We’re thinking of trying to send a soccer jersey as well.

We westerners are so blessed, and take so much for granted. It’s really quite simple to share with others who are less fortunate. Compassion International gives us a chance to do something voluntarily to bless someone else, and in doing so to share the love of Jesus. I’d encourage you to follow the link on this page and find out how you can experience the blessing of sponsoring a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment